“Shall we issue an advertisement in the press to trace him? [state Industries Minister Narayan Rane]”
That’s what the Bombay High Court said on Wednesday after it found that the court officer returned without serving a notice to the Congress leader.
The HC was hearing a petition filed by Solapur-based Purushottam Barde seeking an inquiry into Rane’s statement that some politicians had extended monetary and logistical help to the terrorists who had attacked the city on November 26, 2008.
“The court officer had been to his residence and office too, but they did not accept the notice,” said the petitioner’s counsel, Dhairyasheel Sutar.
The upset bench, comprising Justices Bilal Nazki and A.R. Joshi, said they would now either issue an advertisement or a warrant to the minister. Later the court said an ex parte order [in the absence of one of the parties] would be passed next week. “If he chooses not to contest, that is his choice,” the bench said.
On August 20, the Mumbai Crime Branch had recorded Rane’s statement regarding the controversial statement he made before the media a week after the 26/11 attacks.