Fearing that the three Lashkar-e-Tayyeba terrorists, who escaped from Delhi on Friday, could have sneaked into Mumbai, the traffic police have sought citizens’ help in locating them.
For this, the traffic police have sent out mass text messages (SMS) to citizens with the trio’s physical attributes — height, complexion and age.
The alert, sources in the traffic police told Hindustan Times, could be prompted by reports of the trio’s possible entry, following their escape from Delhi.
The three Pakistanis — Abdul Razzak, Mohammed Sadiq and Rafaqat Ali — who were arrested in connection with the blasts near the Red Fort nine years ago escaped on Friday.
A red alert was sounded in the national capital and its neighbouring areas.
Sources said the police could have got information that the three are holed up in Mumbai.
“This is just an alert to warn people that if they spot anyone suspicious based on description we have provided, they should inform the police or call up 100,” said a traffic control officer who requested anonymity as he is not authorised to speak to the media.
Despite several attempts, senior traffic police officials, including Joint Commissioner Sanjay Barve, was not available for comment.
Meanwhile, Anti-Terrorism Squad chief, K.P. Raghuvanshi, said the SMS was a general alert. “Such alerts have been sent out throughout,” said Raghuvanshi.
The alert from the traffic police assumes significance in the backdrop of terror threats to the Bandra-Worli sea link.
The three who escaped were being escorted to a hospital for treatment by Meghalaya police personnel who were on deputation to the Delhi Police’s Special Branch.
They had been convicted under the Narcotic, Drug and Psychotropic Substance Act for possession of heroin, and were to be deported to Pakistan on completion of their sentence.