The live wire that caused the death of a 35-year-old woman and her son in Trombay on Tuesday evening was likely installed by people who illegally supply electricity to the slum area.
The Trombay police have registered a case of negligence against an accused, identified as Chotta Babu. “The power connection was very haphazardly done, leading to the deaths,” said an officer from the Trombay police station.
An overflowing of water tank that had flooded the slum in sector D worsened the situation, officials said.
The boy, Mohamed Shaikh, 4, was near an iron ladder when he got the electric shock. The ladder may have come in contact with a cable.
“Hearing Mohamed’s cries, his mother Rozi tried to help him, which is when she was electrocuted,” said the officer.
A case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder was registered against Babu. The police also recorded the statement of the woman’s husband Faizan.