‘Two fired at him, third looked on’ | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘Two fired at him, third looked on’

mumbai Updated: Feb 13, 2010 01:00 IST
Shailendra Mohan
Shailendra Mohan
Hindustan Times
‘Two fired at him

The men who shot and killed advocate Shahid Azmi on Thursday waited for him outside his office in Kurla Taxi Men’s colony for 15 minutes, as Azmi was not in.

Azmi walked in around 7:40 pm and asked his office boy Inder Singh Kirti Singh (23), the sole eyewitness to the murder, to switch on the air conditioner and bring him water. He also asked Singh to send the three men inside.

The trio walked in, whipped out two guns and pumped bullets into Azmi.

According to Singh’s statement, details of which were accessed by Hindustan Times, three men came looking for Azmi around 7.25 pm and waited outside near a water tank until Azmi came to office.

“Two men fired at Sir [Azmi] while the third one looked on,” Singh said. He added that one of the assailants took the gun out of a polythene bag, while the other had tucked the gun under his shirt.

Singh said after firing three shots, one assailant pointed the gun at his [Singh’s] head and said, “Chal bhaag idhar se nahi toh tere ko bhi udaa denge.” [Get out of here else we’ll shoot you also.]

As he ran towards Azmi’s house in the next block to inform his family of the attack, Singh heard two more shots being fired.

According to Singh’s description of the three assailants, one had long hair, was about 5.9 feet tall and was wearing a shirt and trouser.

The second person had a wheatish complexion and was about 5.5 feet in height. He looked on as the other two carried out the killing.

The third attacker had similar physical features as the second one. All three were of slim built.

Police sources said four empty bullet cases and one live cartridge were found at Azmi’s office.

“A 9 mm pistol and a 7.62 gun was used,” said an officer, adding the live cartridge was of 9 mm calibre.

Azmi was shot on either side of his chest, while two bullets hit his neck, sources said. “At that range it was impossible for him to survive,” said a police officer.

Speaking in Hindi, Singh told Hindustan Times: “I don’t remember anything after Sir got shot. I am not in a condition to talk.” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone V) Milind Bharambe said: “We do not have any information on how they [the killers] came and escaped.”