Uncertain about NEET’s validity, 4 lakh aspirants write MH-CET

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: May 06, 2016 01:30 IST
Students appearing for the MH-CET await outside a college in Thane on Thursday. (HT Photo)

Around 4 lakh medical aspirants from across the state appeared for the Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MH-CET) on Thursday, even as uncertainty looms over the validity of the examination.

Last week, the Supreme Court (SC) allowed the Centre to conduct the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) on Sunday. NEET will replace all the state and private entrance examinations for admissions to medical and dental institutes. NEET was scrapped by the court in 2013.

Maharashtra has filed a review petition in the SC seeking either an exemption from NEET or implementation of the national entrance test only from 2018. The SC is yet to announce its verdict.

Read: Maharashtra for NEET only from 2018

Students and parents, however, are hoping the SC decides in favour of the state.

Akshata Masali, who could not answer the All India Pre-Medical Test (AIPMT), renamed NEET Phase I, said, “I had prepared for the AIPMT, but was not allowed to appear for the test on Sunday, as I reached late. I hope Thursday’s CET will be considered for admissions.”

“My daughter did go for the exam on Thursday as she wasn’t sure if it is valid. Had the judgement been delivered earlier, it would not have led to so much chaos,” said a parent. “Although my daughter appeared for NEET Phase I, she had exclusively prepared for the state entrance test,” she said.

Another parent, whose daughter had not registered for AIPMT, has pinned all her hopes on the CET. “My daughter was nervous before appearing for the exam on Thursday, as this is her second attempt at cracking CET. She doesn’t have any plans to appear for NEET Phase II on July 24, as there is a slim chance of her scoring well in it,” she said.

also read

Pune biennale to be held from January 5 TO 29
Show comments