Union leader who attempted suicide outside Mantralaya dies | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 18, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -
live
* Wins + Leads | Source : ECI/Media Reports

Union leader who attempted suicide outside Mantralaya dies

Kailash Khatkale, the 24-year-old Pune-based union leader of a private company who tried to commit suicide by drinking some liquid from a bottle at the office of Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) — Gandhi Bhavan — near Mantralaya last week, died at the GT Hospital on Monday.

mumbai Updated: Aug 03, 2010 01:38 IST
HT Correspondent

Kailash Khatkale, the 24-year-old Pune-based union leader of a private company who tried to commit suicide by drinking some liquid from a bottle at the office of Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) — Gandhi Bhavan — near Mantralaya last week, died at the GT Hospital on Monday.

Cherring Dorje, deputy commissioner of police (zone I) told Hindustan Times that the police were still to find the make of the contents (liquid) in the bottle.

“We will be able to say that only after we receive the post mortem reports from the JJ Hospital. It is however, confirmed that the liquid Khatkale consumed killed him,” he added.

However, Dr Sudhir Medhekar, medical superintendent at GT hospital told HT that Khatkale died of pesticide poisoning.

“He consumed 30 ml of cypermethrin pesticide on Thursday. The patient’s viscera has been sent to the Kalina Forensic lab for a final confirmation,” said Medhekar.

Khatkale, an employee at Sumitmil Auto Pvt Ltd, Pune had come to meet the Minister of State for Labour, Padmakar Valvi, with a group of 20 men to tell him about their pending labour related issue last Thursday.

When Walvi’s assurance did not satisfy him, he stormed out of the party office and consumed poison in full public view.

He was rushed to GT Hospital.

The police had suspected Khatkale, a resident of Kopar village in Shirdi, had consumed ‘soap water’.

However, Khatkale’s colleagues claimed that he had consumed insecticide, Tiknil, from the bottle.

The Cuffe Parade police on Monday said that they have registered a case of suicide and are investigating the reason behind the union leader’s step.

“We will now record the statements of his colleagues and the company authorities against whom the men had come to meet Valvi in Mumbai to investigate the reason behind the step Khatkale took,” said Dorje.

Khatkale’s colleague Dajiba Sagar, who had accompanied him to Mumbai and had been working with Khatkale for the last five years, said Katkale was suffering from mental stress

The constant threatening from the company’s authority to quit his job could have aggravated his condition.

“Khatkale had been fighting for us for the last three years. Mental stress might have lead him to take the extreme step,” said Sagar.