UP criminal killed in encounter at Aksa | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

UP criminal killed in encounter at Aksa

mumbai Updated: Apr 08, 2010 01:07 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

A notorious criminal from Uttar Pradesh, carrying a cash reward of Rs 50,000 on his head, was killed in a joint operation by the Special Task Force (STF) of UP and the Mumbai police crime branch on the beaches of Aksa in Madh on Wednesday afternoon.

This is the first major operation by the crime branch this year, and the third encounter killing of a gangster in the city during the past fortnight.

Joint commissioner of police, crime, Himanshu Roy, said that Dillip Yadav (35) alias Rahul alias Major was wanted in at least six murder cases by the Uttar Pradesh police since one and half years.

According to Roy, Yadav, originally from Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh, had 19 major cases against him in Azamgarh, Varanasi, Jaunpur and other parts of eastern UP.

Of those eight were murders while the rest constituted kidnappings and extortion.

“He was basically a contract killer, though he was involved in a few kidnappings also,” Roy said. In 2005, Yadav had allegedly murdered BJP leader from Azamgarh, Rajendra Mishra.

In 2007, Kalpnath Yadav, a civil contractor from Azamgarh was also killed by him.

The same year, Yadav killed a PCO owner in Jaunpur after he mistook him for another businessman for whom he had taken Supari.

Roy said Yadav had gone underground for the past one and half years during which he committed six murders. Recently, the UP STF intercepted some of his ransom calls to businessmen and traced those calls to Mumbai.

They located his whereabouts in Malad-Malwani area and intimated the Mumbai police crime branch.

On Wednesday, Yadav was traced to the Aksa beach and a joint team comprising the Anti Extortion Cell of the crime branch accosted him there.

Roy said even after he was surrounded and was asked to surrender, Yadav allegedly opened fire from a 9 mm pistol he was carrying.

The police retaliated with firing and in the exchange of fire Yadav was critically injured and was taken to the Bhagwati Hospital in Borivli (W) where he was declared dead before admission. In all, Yadav had fired three rounds at the police and police fired seven rounds in retaliation, Roy added.

When asked if Yadav was part of a bigger criminal outfit, Roy said, “He worked all by himself and not for any outfit.”