Vakola fratricide case: Two diary entries about absence from duty irked ASI Shirke | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Vakola fratricide case: Two diary entries about absence from duty irked ASI Shirke

mumbai Updated: May 09, 2015 22:40 IST
Saurabh M Joshi
Vakola fratricide case

Investigations in the Vakola fratricide case revealed that two diary entries were made against assistant sub inspector Dilip Shirke on the night of May 1, for being absent from his duty point on the Western Express Highway (WEH). Anger over these entries prompted Shirke to confront senior police inspector Vilas Joshi at the Vakola police station the following day -- and subsequently shoot Joshi, before killing himself.

The investigators said that on May 1, Shirke was given verbal instructions to change his spot, and move from Eco Point to Panbai International school on WEH, where chain-snatching cases are often reported.

His call detail records have revealed that while Shirke was on the WEH that night, he had moved from his spot for food around 2.30am.

After making a visit to the spot around 2.30am and not finding Shirke at his spot, assistant inspector (API) Deepak Shinde made an entry in the register about the absence. He went to inspect the spot again around 6.30am. Not finding Shirke at the exact spot, Shinde made yet another diary entry.

Sources have said as per the norms, a diary entry for issues like attendance is made only once, even if the policeman is not found at a spot more than once.

“After the first diary entry was made, Shirke was informed about it on the phone. He said he was on duty but had left to eat. However, he was not told that a second entry was made about his absence, on the same night. When he came to find out about his night duty the following day, he learnt about the second entry made in the register. This enraged him,” said a police officer.

Senior inspector Vilas Joshi’s orderly, who was present at the Vakola police station when the shooting took place, and is one of the five witnesses in the case, said in his statement that Shirke had asked Joshi about the second diary entry. The orderly, who had gone into Joshi’s cabin to keep some files, added that Joshi had asked Shirke to give a written explanation about his absence, but Shirke had refused to oblige.

Minutes later, when Shirke approached Joshi for a second time, Joshi got up from his seat, and started moving out of the cabin, telling Shirke they would talk about the matter the next day. Enraged, Shirke pulled out his firearm and shot at Joshi, and later committed suicide.