Varsity probe stalled till April 3
The probe into the recent goof-ups at the Mumbai Univer-sity will not begin until April 3.mumbai Updated: Mar 31, 2012 01:39 IST
The probe into the recent goof-ups at the Mumbai University will not begin until April 3.
Despite the urgency of the situation, prompting governor K Sankaranarayanan to call a meeting with vice chancellor Rajan Welukar on Friday, the man appointed to conduct two enquiries, MG Shirahatti, is on leave and will resume work on April 3.
“The probe should be conducted soon before students leave the city for holidays. So, even if a re-exam has to be held it will not be delayed,” said Parag Vedak, a former senate member.
Shirahatti, director of Oriental Education Society in Navi Mumbai, was appointed to look into a possible final year BCom paper leak on Wed-nesday and a centre allocation error last week. Society trustee, Javed Khan, said Shirahatti had been away for five days. “He will be coming back on April 3, he has gone to his native place,” said Khan.
The governor asked the VC to ensure that no students suffer. He also met a Shiv Sena delegation and assured them he would initiate filling vacant university positions.
The university’s problems did not end with students complaining of a 10-mark error in the last TYBCom paper on Friday. Meanwhile, reports surfaced on Friday linking a Bhiwandi college to Tuesday’s paper leak. While the college denied the leak, the university said it would look into the matter.