Victims choke on smoke; Chavan’s aide is critical | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 26, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Victims choke on smoke; Chavan’s aide is critical

Having breathed in hot smoke billowing from the fire at Mantralaya, Hemant Khaire, 45, suffered burn injuries in his trachea and lungs. The deputy liaison officer with the public relations department was admitted to JJ Hospital’s intensive care unit.

mumbai Updated: Jun 22, 2012 00:43 IST
HT Correspondent

Having breathed in hot smoke billowing from the fire at Mantralaya, Hemant Khaire, 45, suffered burn injuries in his trachea and lungs. The deputy liaison officer with the public relations department was admitted to JJ Hospital’s intensive care unit. “He (Khaire) was unconscious when brought to the hospital. He is now critical and on ventilator support,” said a doctor from JJ hospital on Thursday evening. Khaire was trapped on the sixth floor of Mantralaya.

Fifteen persons, who were injured in the fire, were admitted to St George, GT and JJ hospitals. Four were discharged by evening. Three patients sustained superficial burn injuries while most others complained of suffocation-related symptoms. KN Jehangir, a staffer at Mantralaya, was rushed to St George Hospital, with 10 % burns on his right hand. Satish Lalit, 52, who works in the chief ministers public relation office, and Askok Pisat from the water supply department were taken to the JJ Hospital after they complained of breathlessness. Kishore Gangurde, a PRO from the administration department, hurt his right knee and was admitted to JJ Hospital. Four policemen, who were on the sixth floor evacuating people, were stabilised at the emergency ward of St George Hospital before being shifted to the ICU.

Patients showed signs of breathlessness owing to inhalation of smoke. “They were given oxygen, intravenous fluids and antibiotics to relieve them of the discomfort,” said Dr Jeetendra Sankpal, acting medical superintendent, GT Hospital.