Vidhyadhar went to tempo driver’s house after killing Hema Upadhyay and her lawyer | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Vidhyadhar went to tempo driver’s house after killing Hema Upadhyay and her lawyer

mumbai Updated: Dec 19, 2015 00:17 IST
Hema Upadhyay

Vidhyadhar Rajbhar, the prime suspect in the murders of artist Hema Upadhyay and her lawyer Haresh Bhambani, visited tempo driver Vijaykumarkumar’s house after the murder, to ask him to transport “damaged antiques” late on December 11. Police sources have confirmed Vijaykumar’s story that he was unaware that he was transporting bodies.

A native of Uttar Pradesh, Vijaykumar took to driving tempo four years ago. Neighbours describe Vijaykumar as a quiet man who kept to himself. “I learned about my son’s arrest only after reading the papers,” said Ramadhar Rajbhar, Vijaykumar’s father, who reached the city from Varanasi on Friday.

Read more: Hema Upadhyay case: Police ascertain modus operandi, motive still elusive

Every day, Vijaykumar’s wife Saroj is seen sitting outside the Kandivli police station, where he has been kept with three other accused. Tired, she often turns to her sister with a worried look. “I don’t even know Vidhyadhar. But our lives have been ruined because of him. He would come to our house to pay the transportation cost to my husband,” she said.

The family said Vidhyadhar visited their house late on December 11. Vijaykumar returned home after midnight and spent the next day at home. He was picked up by the police on Sunday. Bindu, Saroj’s sister, said they searched the area thinking “goons took him”. “We then went to the police station and insisted on registering an NC. It was only on Tuesday that we were told Vijaykumar is at the police station,” said Bindu.

Vijaykumar’s 17-year-old son, too, was summoned by the police. The teenager was allowed to go only a couple of hours later. He was shivering and sobbing when he walked out of the police station. “They have called us tomorrow,” Ramadhar said, as the family left the police station.