Wadala oil pipeline fire: BMC orders detailed probe into incident | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Wadala oil pipeline fire: BMC orders detailed probe into incident

mumbai Updated: Jun 15, 2015 17:29 IST
Vaishnavi Vasudevan
Wadala oil pipeline fire


A day after a major fire broke out at Wadala in an oil pipeline, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) on Sunday ordered a detailed investigation into the incident.

The fire that broke out at 6.46pm on Saturday on the Mumbai Port Trust Road near Castrol company, was brought under control only on Sunday around 7.30am, after a 13-hour critical fire-fighting operation. At the time of going to press, cooling operations were underway. Though there were no injuries reported, the extent of damages is yet to be ascertained.

Repair work on the pipeline is underway and six fire tenders have been kept on standby at the spot.

The blaze consumed 50-70 thousand litres of petrol. The fire brigade, which is in the process of an overhaul, successfully use its foam tenders, a special equipment required in case of oil fires, to prevent it from spreading into water. More than 25,000 litres of foam was used in the operation. “We had all the special equipment required to carry out the operation. We also received support from other authorities,” said PS Rahangdale, acting chief fire officer.

Fire tenders from Hindustan Petroleum, Bharat Petroleum, National Chemical Fertilisers, Thane Municipal Corporation, Navi Mumbai Municipal corporation and Mumbai Airport were pressed into action to control the blaze. The investigation report will state what fuelled the fire and is expected to be submitted in a week.

At 1.52am, while firefighters were trying to douse the blaze, the fire snowballed into a major disaster when it entered the nearby Bharat Petroleum locality posing a serious danger, becoming a brigade call. In a brigade call, fire tenders from all fire stations in the city are pressed into action with all senior fire officers heading the operation.

The incident happened when a 14-inch petroleum pipeline was being repaired on Saturday. The fire raged up to 20 to 30 feet high and half-a-kilometre long.