‘Want police to pay Rs 25 lakh for brutality’ | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘Want police to pay Rs 25 lakh for brutality’

mumbai Updated: Nov 25, 2011 01:17 IST
Kanchan Chaudhari
Kanchan Chaudhari
Hindustan Times

Two residents of Sunderbaugh in Ghatkopar (West) have approached the Bombay high court demanding compensation of Rs25 lakh for alleged police brutality.

Avinash Joshi and Sunder Bisht claim they were badly beaten up by the police after dialling the police help line number to report water theft from a civic distribution point. Bisht said the beating was so severe that he has permanent damage in his right ear.

Joshi and Bisht have asked the court to direct the police commissioner to initiate criminal action against the policemen at Ghatkopar police station for this.

Their petition, filed through advocate Prakash Wagh, states that around 11 pm on September 28, 2011, when they were returning from work they noticed tankers parked outside the Water Works Office of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) on Lal Bahadur Shastri Marg.

Seeing some civic employees illegally selling water to tanker water suppliers, Joshi dialled 100 to report the alleged theft. A few policemen arrived, but instead of acting on their complaint, bundled Joshi and Bisht into the police van and took them to Ghatkopar Chirag Nagar police station, the petition stated.

There both of them pleaded with the police to take action against the water mafia, but the policemen started beating them up, the petition stated. “Joshi ended up with swollen lips and cheeks, while Bisht became unconscious.” The police then allegedly took the two to Rajawadi Hospital where Bisht found that his right eardrum had been damaged permanently.

The Ghatkopar police later booked both Joshi and Bisht allegedly for misbehaving and assaulting the policemen while inebriated. They were arrested and produced before a magistrate on September 29 and bailed out the next day after spending a night at Thane Central Prison.

They have alleged that the case against them was false and malicious. The court will hear the matter next week.