Watchman’s statement nails husband | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Watchman’s statement nails husband

mumbai Updated: Mar 20, 2010 01:42 IST
Rachna Pratihar

When Eknath Pai left for Thiruvanthapuram, with his wife Ajitha’s body on Tuesday, he thought he had got away with the crime.

However, the medical report, circumstantial evidence and discrepancies in his statement nailed his lies.

Eknath was arrested at the Mumbai international airport on Thursday night.

In his statement recorded on Tuesday evening, Eknath said: “Ajitha was on the night shift and came home at 8 am from duty. I left for office at 9 am and returned around 5.30 pm.”

“I knocked the door several times, rang the bell and calledher on the mobile but there was no response. I called the building watchman Dilip Kumar Yadav upstairs to help me break open the door. Ajitha was lying unconscious in the bedroom,” he added.

But Yadav told police that Eknath came back from work around 3.30 pm and before entering the lift, told him: “Today is an auspicious day.” in his police statement, Yadav said: “An hour later, two persons carrying a plastic bag, went upstairs without entering their names in the log book. They left ten minutes later. When I stopped them, they told me that they had gone to meet Eknath, with whom they had partied an hour ago. Around 4.30 pm, Eknath came downstairs and checked the

log-book (to see if the two visitors had registered their names and went back).”

Yadav further added, “Eknath came down again around 6 pm, saying his wife was not opening the door and he wanted my help to break the door open. I took a wooden stick and an iron rod, went up with him and broke open the door.”

In order to cross check the accused’s story, police contacted Captain Dilip Kumar, who is an assistant general manager in the same department as Pai. In his statement to the police, Kumar said: “Eknath delivered a lecture on security at Santacruz till 1 pm and returned to office by 1.15 pm. He then left saying that he had to reach RTO for some work.”

Inquiries later revealed that the accused had visited a bar along with two friends and returned home around 3.30 pm.