A 32-year old passenger of Brihanmumbai Electricity Supply and Transport (BEST) bus 489 as well as the driver suffered burns after the bus arrived at Powai market late Sunday afternoon when hot water from the battery radiator of the bus splashed over them.
Sandeep Salve, 32, and the driver, Santosh Nikalje, 33, received 10 to 20% burns and are recuperating at the Rajawadi hospital.
“This is a technical fault and our experts will investigate the matter and submit a report to the general manager. A further course of action will be
decided only after that. Meanwhile, the passenger can apply for compensation with the Motor Accident Tribunal where his medical expenses will be compensated,” said BEST public relations officer NA Walwalkar.
After the incident, the bus was emptied of passengers. Currently, the bus is in the custody of the Powai police who are investigating the case. Sub-inspector S Khatke from Powai police station said a case of negligence had been registered against unidentified person/s in connection with the incident.
According to a senior BEST official, the undertaking takes precautions and carries out regular checks before a bus
leaves the depot. The usual exercise involves taking the bus around the depot checking for problems.
“The battery area must have heated up and caused the incident,” the BEST official said.
The last time an accident happened on a BEST bus was in January 2011, when smoke suddenly started coming out of the front of the bus.