The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has ruled out the possibility of Chinese food having caused the food poisoning of students at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) - Bombay last month.
“There could be a possibility that contamination of water or improper storage caused the food poisoning. The noodles and ajinomoto were not the cause. We are waiting for the water testing report,” said Suresh Deshmukh, FDA assistant commissioner.
On September 27, the FDA had collected samples of noodles, ajinomoto and water used to prepare food in hostels 12, 13 and 15 where more than 500 students had reported sick after dinner. The FDA is now waiting for the water testing report, which will take another 20 days. The FDA report will be submitted to the state government for further scrutiny.
“We have not got the FDA report yet but will follow guidelines given by FDA on maintaining hygiene standards. We have already taken precautions and have issued tenders for new caterers. Renovation of the canteen is also on,” said UA Yagnik, dean of academic and student affairs.
According the Food Safety and Standard Regulations, 2011, food packets must carry labels mentioning expiry date and nutritional values. According to the FDA officials, the label on the noodles packet flouted this rule.