With eye on elections, EC deletes 17.6L names from city’s voter list
The highest number of deletions -- 17.60 lakh – was from Mumbai, suburban Mumbai and Thane, which will face civic polls in early 2017mumbai Updated: Oct 08, 2015 00:51 IST
MUMBAI: A day ahead of the launch of the enrolment drive for polls at major civic corporations, the Election Commission has deleted from the electoral rolls 29.27 lakh names that were either repeated, or of were of people who were dead or had shifted.
The highest number of deletions -- 17.60 lakh – was from Mumbai, suburban Mumbai and Thane, which will face civic polls in early 2017. While 11.03 lakh names were deleted from the city suburbs, 1.25 lakh names and 5.30 lakh names were deleted from the island city and Thane’s list respectively. Around 3.16 lakh names have been deleted from Pune’s list.
During the Assembly and Lok Sabha elections last year, the EC has discovered that the number of voters on the electoral rolls was inflated. So after the elections, the EC launched a drive to delete the names of those who were absent, dead or shifted. The voters were identified after a scrutiny by election officers and were served notices, asking them to prove the validity within a timeframe. Only 24,000 of those who received notices proved their validity, and retained their names on the rolls.
According to the voter to population ratio, the number of voters should not exceed 8.07 crore. But the number of registered voters during the Assembly elections last year was 8.33 crore.
After the deletion drive, the number has now come down to 8.04 crore.
Officials from the EC, however, feel there are still lakhs of names that have been
repeated and need to be deleted. The official said the number of duplicate voters in Mumbai suburbs is high because of migration.
“We have deleted the names of voters after following the due process. The voters, who claim their names have been wrongly deleted and have proof to validate their claims, will have to apply afresh during the enrollment drive, starting from October 8,” said joint chief electoral officer Anil Valvi.