Woman attacks traffic cop | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Woman attacks traffic cop

mumbai Updated: Nov 11, 2010 01:07 IST
HT Correspondent

Thirteen days after an irate autorickshaw driver set a traffic head constable on fire, a woman assaulted another traffic constable at the same spot near the ST stand, opposite Hrishikesh Hotel in Vasai, on Tuesday.

According to the police, the woman, identified as Reshma Makrani, 30, a resident of Father Wadi in Vasai (East) and her brother-in-law, Imran Shaikh, 28, a rickshaw driver, have been arrested.

The incident took place around 11am when Shaikh, with Makrani in the passenger’s seat, was intercepted by traffic police constable Ashok Shinde. He wanted to know why Shaikh was not wearing his uniform or his driver’s badge. After much discussion, Shinde apparently said he would fine him for not wearing his uniform and not carrying his badge.

This angered Makrani, who got out of the rickshaw and got into a heated argument with Shinde, demanding why the traffic police always harassed rickshaw drivers. “During the course of the argument she caught Shinde’s collar and threatened him with dire consequences. Before Shinde could react, Shaikh grabbed him from behind and Makrani slapped him across the face,” said Chandrakant Jadhav, police inspector from Manikpur police station.

Following the incident Shaikh and Makrani drove off, while Shinde approached the police and lodged a complaint against the duo.

“We traced the duo and arrested them in the evening. Both Shaikh and Makrani have been booked for assault or criminal force to deter a public servant from discharge of his duty, voluntarily causing hurt to deter a public servant from his duty, mischief causing damage and criminal intimidation.

On October 27, traffic head constable Anil Aitodekar, 42 was set on fire by an irate auto rickshaw driver, Mahendra Kewat. Aitodekar had fined Kewat for not carrying proper documents for his vehicle. Furious over being fined, Kewat returned a few hours later with a can of petrol. He poured it on Aitodekar from behind and set him ablaze. The Manikpur police arrested Kewat the next day. Aitodekar, after struggling for life for three days, died in Masina Hospital while undergoing treatment.