Woman’s family alleges cover-up by in-laws | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Woman’s family alleges cover-up by in-laws

mumbai Updated: Jun 29, 2010 02:20 IST
HT Correspondent

Just two days before 24-year-old Nishi Jethwani killed herself by jumping from the 27th floor of her building at Mulund, she had allegedly told her parents that she could not handle any more torture from her in-laws and that she had had enough, her father claimed.

“I, however, told her that she should try to reconcile with them and live with them. She ended her call saying she wouldn’t trouble me henceforth,” said a desolate Nitin Soni, father of Nishi while speaking to Hindustan Times outside the Mulund metropolitan court.

Nishi had a love marriage 13 months ago with Jitendra Jethwani. Soni, in his FIR has said that Nishi was being harassed for dowry on the basis of which the police arrested the family members.

Jitendra (29), his father Mulchand, mother Deepa and sister Sapna who were arrested on Sunday have been remanded in police custody until July 2.

Soni alleged that the family was trying to cover up Nishi’s death.

“Nishi had died a few hours earlier but the family members informed us much later,” he said while adding that his son who reached the spot soon after, saw the entire family at the scene.

“Her father-in-law has a factory in Thane. How was he able to reach home within such a short time?” Soni said.

Meanwhile, Jitendra’s uncle Devisingh Jethwani defended the family saying that Nishi was treated like a daughter in the family.

“She had a mental illness and she used to stay aloof from all of us, even at family functions,” he said while adding that the family members are deeply traumatised by her death.

“We are in shock and the allegations have also hurt us. How could we kill our daughter, they are framing us,” he said. “Except for Sapna, there was no one in the house at the time.”

Deputy Commissioner of Police, Rajkumar Vhatkar had said on Sunday that there was no one at home at the time of the incident.

Vhatkar, however, was unavailable for comments on Monday.

Soni refuted the charges that his daughter was mentally unstable.

“At such an early age, she handled a team of more than 20 people at work and they call her mentally unstable,” Soni said.