Woman says bizman threatened her, he says he was in court | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Woman says bizman threatened her, he says he was in court

mumbai Updated: Feb 19, 2010 01:25 IST
Shahkar Abidi
Shahkar Abidi
Hindustan Times
Bombay High Court

He was accused of threatening a woman with a revolver at her Jogeshwari home when he was actually at the Bombay High Court hearing a case.

Bandra-based businessman Mir Mozam Ali (40) has filed a complaint with the Additional Commissioner of Police (Western region) against three policemen of the Oshiwara police station for allegedly conniving with the complainant, Maimunia Selia.

The Oshiwara police arrested Ali on December 1, 2009, after Selia (55) lodged a complaint on November 26 alleging that Ali had threatened her with a revolver.

After spending two days in the police lock up and a day in Arthur Road jail, Ali was released on bail.

For the next two months, Ali made representations to the Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court and obtained an order from him for the release of the court’s CCTV footage.

The footage confirmed he was at the high court at the time he was alleged to have threatened the woman.

“She had made the false allegation as I had made an RTI (Right To Information) query regarding a plot of land encroached by her and her accomplices,” Ali said.

“I kept pleading to the police that they first investigate the matter before arresting me, as I was in the high court on the said day and time, but all my pleas fell on deaf ears,” added Ali. “I spent a painful time in the lock-up for a crime which I did not even commit.”

In his complaint Ali has accused Sub-Inspector Pravin Desai, Inspector Uttam Kadlag and Senior Inspector D.K. Rupwate of being hand-in-glove with Selia.

Selia did not respond to calls made by Hindustan Times.

Additional Commissioner of Police (Western region) Amitabh Gupta said: “If further investigation reveals that he [Ali] was not present at the spot, the FIR will be taken back.”

While Rupwate disconnected HT’s call, others could not be contacted.