The Shiv Sena reiterated its threat that it will not allow Australian cricketers to play in Maharashtra, especially in Mumbai.
On Sunday, Sena Executive President Uddhav Thackeray said: “We remain firm on our stand and not allow Aussies [cricketers] to set foot in Mumbai or Maharashtra, till attacks on Indians in Australia continue.”
The Sena repeated its threat in the backdrop of the auction of Australian players for the IPL last week. The prominent Australians who made it on the final list include Brad Haddin, Phillip Hughes and Doug Bollinger.
On January 13, Sena chief Bal Thackeray had announced a ban on Australian cricketers from playing in Mumbai or in the state to protest against the attacks on Indians in Australia in an article published in the party mouthpiece Saamna.
Blasting Indian cricketers in his article, the Sena chief had said they “do not have any self-respect and lacked patriotism” and condemned the way “they are showing sportsmanship with Australia”.