Yakub hanged: Residents of Worli building stay up all night for final SC verdict | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 22, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Yakub hanged: Residents of Worli building stay up all night for final SC verdict

mumbai Updated: Jul 30, 2015 23:37 IST
Badri Chatterjee
Badri Chatterjee
Hindustan Times
Yakub Memon Yakub Memon hanging Yakub Memon execution 1993 Mumbai blasts Yakub's mercy plea rejected

Residents of buildings in Worli’s Century Bazaar area, where the terror attack of March 1993 had killed 113 people, stayed awake till the early hours of Thursday, following the late night developments that unfolded in Delhi when the Supreme Court decided to hear a fresh petition against the hanging of Yakub Memon.

“We were awake till almost 4am because we had to know the verdict. My wife had narrowly escaped death on that day,” said old G Chandani, 78, a resident of Malkani Mahal building, which bore the brunt of the blast.

Chandani and his wife, Kamla, 75, recalled the day: their third-floor flat was literally hanging in the air after the lower floors were destroyed. The flat’s wall that faced the road was blasted away. “I was in Andheri when I received the call. When I reached home, I found a half broken building, piled up bodies and dried blood on the streets in front of my house,” said Chandani.

“At the time of the blasts, my one-year-old grandson was sleeping in my daughter’s arms and the impact of the blast threw a large glass pane on top of her,” he said

Chandani and his family were forced to stay at another place as Malkani Mahal was rebuilt over a span of one-and-a-half year.

Chandani’s daughter and the rest of the family moved to Sharjah, UAE, soon after. “My daughter and grandson, now 22, were awake till 2.30am (UAE time), until they received the news of Memon’s hanging,” said Chandani.

Kamla said, “I was standing in the balcony. My daughter called me and I started heading towards her room where there was a huge explosion,”she said.

Suresh More, 62, who runs an electronics shop near Malkani Mahal, was also awake till 3am on Thursday. “It is 1% justice as the main culprits still roam free. Until they are hanged, the image of severed body parts will never leave my mind,” he said. More said his shop was blown into smithereens, pieces of glass from the window pane and a vehicle penetrated his body. “It took 15 days to remove all the pieces,” he said.