Music lovers went in a tizzy in August this year when the news that Skrillex will embark on a multi-city India tour broke out. This Saturday, American EDM (electronic dance music) superstar, Skrillex (Sonny John Moore), will join the list of international DJs who have performed live in India. Here’s why you need to be there.
1) Master of his craft: Every fifth person might call themselves a DJ today but here’s one who’s a six-time Grammy award winner. He obviously knows his (electronic) music. Case in point, the popular EPs (Extended Play) Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites and More Monsters and Sprites.
2) The energy factor: The musician plays over 300 concerts a year and his live gigs are talked about for being high on stage production. The dynamic visuals and lasers (and sometimes fireworks) compliment his music beautifully. Be there for the vibe.
3) Icon material: He was bullied for being an emo kid, but Skrillex didn’t let that change who he is. And despite being in an industry that’s somewhat synonymous with drugs, Skrillex has vocally come out against drug abuse.
4) The hair story: Skrillex’s trademark half shaved hairstyle rivals his music in being known. The musician, in an interview with Rolling Stone, admitted he had long hair to hide his face in his hair because of serious acne. He shaved off one side to get over the insecurity.
5) Bragging rights: You can tell your grandchildren you danced at Skrillex’s first-ever gig in India.
Vh1 Supersonic Arcade: Skrillex will take place on October 10, 6pm onward at Reliance Jio Garden, BKC. Gates open at 5pm.
Tickets: Rs 3,135 onward on meraevents.com