Singer-composer AR Rahman celebrates his 48th birthday on Tuesday.
The musician has two Academy Awards, a BAFTA Award, two Grammy Awards, four National Film Awards, a Golden Globe, 15 Filmfare Awards and 13 Filmfare Awards South to his credit.
Rahman, also known as Mozart of Madras, has composed music for Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malyalam, Kannada and English movies. AR Rahman is in the race for Oscars this year for his work in Million Dollar Arm, The Hundred-Foot Journey and Indian film Kochadaiiyaan.
Here, we list some his most popular songs from the Hindi film industry.
1. Highway (2014) Imtiaz ALi's Highway marked the debut of Alia Bhatt as a singer with Patakha Guddi. Another song Mahi Ve, that Rahman crooned for the movie was also a great hit.
2. Raanjhanaa (2013) The Sonam Kapoor, Abhay Deol and Dhanush-starrer movie was a musical hit, especially Banarasiya and Tum Tak.
3. Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012) Shah Rukh Khan, Anushka Sharma and Katrina Kaif worked in Yash Chopra's last film Jab Tak Hai Jaan. Chali Re and Challa from the movie were among the chartbusters spanning the entire year.
4. Rockstar (2011) Imtiaz Ali's Rockstar not only marked the emergence of superstar Ranbir Kapoor, songs like Sadda Haq ruled the charts and till date remains a youth anthem.
5. Delhi 6 (2006) Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's Delhi 6 wowed the audience and songs like Rehna Tu, Masakkali and Arziyaan added to the charm.
6. Rang De Basanti (2006) Aamir Khan-starrer movie not only defined the anger and frustration of the youth but also added to its playlist for voicing their collective inner turmoil. Numbers like Paathshaala, Sasural Genda Phool, Lukka Chuppi and Khalbali continue to be part of most people's favourite lists.
7. Swades (2004) Yun Hi Chala Chal and Yeh Jo Des Hai from the Shah Ruhk Khan-starrer continue too to be on the favourite lists for many.
8. Saathiya (2002) The Vivek Oberoi-Rani Mukerhjee-starrer romantic hit was also one of the favourite mushy albums for lovebirds.
9. Lagaan (2001) Aamir Khan's Lagaan had songs like O Re Chori, Chale Chalo that added lyrical quality to the narrative and stayed chartbusters.
10. Slumdog Millionnaire (2008) Apart from the Oscar-winning song Jai Ho,the album of Slumdog Millionnaire offers peppy numbers like Rong Ring Ringa which continue to be popular.
11. Taal (1999) Be it the title track, Ishq Bina or Kahi Aag Lage - each song in Taal was a hit number which made this Aishwarya Rai, Anil Kapoor, Akshay Khanna-starrer a musical hit.
12. Dil Se (1998) Mani Ratnam's Dil Se did not score big at the box office but Rahman's music made sure that the movie stays in our collective memory. Songs like Ae Ajnabi, Chaiyya Chaiyya and Jiya Jale are still played with reverence.
13. Rangeela (1995) Ram Gopal Varma's Rangeela not only established Urmila Matondkar in Bollywood but stood out also because of the peppy numbers.
14: Humse Hai Muqabala (1994) Songs like Urvashi Urvashi, Patti Rap and Gopala Gopala are some foot-tapping numbers that ruled for quite some time.
15: Roja (1992) The songs of AR Rahman's first Hindi movie Roja continue to haunt lovers. The title track, Yeh Haseen Vaadiyan, among others remains some of the most romantic numbers of Hindi films.
AR Rahman has a long list of hits, and we must have missed several numbers. Share your favourite Rahman songs in the comment box below.