Infant dies after docs administer nitrous oxide instead of oxygen

  • Nida Khan
  • Updated: May 29, 2016 06:22 IST

INDORE: An infant admitted to the MY Hospital died on Saturday after staffers accidentally administered nitrous oxide instead of oxygen during a surgery conducted at its paediatric intensive care unit.

Another baby who was subjected to the same mistake soon afterwards is battling for his life, hospital sources said. A probe revealed there was a mix-up in the lines carrying the gases to the respiratory equipment at the newly constructed paediatric unit. Police registered an FIR against the contractor concerned, and an internal probe has been launched into the role of the doctors.

“This was a huge mistake on the part of the builder. He has admitted his mistake in writing, but we still want to take strict legal action against him. Also, action will be takenagainst the doctors if they are found to be at fault,” said divisional commissioner Sanjay Dubey.

also read

Video shows ‘assaulted’ RSS worker with ‘minor bruises’
Show comments