Indrani Mukerjea, prime accused in the murder of her firstborn child Sheena Bora, briefly fainted in court on Sunday while younger daughter Vidhie wept as the magistrate allowed them to meet on the court premises.

    Besides allowing the emotional meeting, the court extended till September 5 the police custody of INX media co-founder Indrani and her two accomplices — Kolkata-based former husband Sanjeev Khanna and driver Shyam Rai — who were arrested this August for the gruesome murder of Sheena three years ago.

    Police pressed against Indrani the additional charge of attempting to kill Sheena’s sibling, Guwahati-based Mikhail Bora, following his allegation that their mother gave him a spiked drink on the day of the murder.

    Indrani, the wife of former media baron Peter Mukerjea, briefly fainted in the Bandra courtroom as the public prosecutor argued that their custody be further extended.

    The public prosecutor said investigators suspect the involvement of some others outside Maharashtra in the 2012 murder and so more interrogation of the accused trio was required.

    Read: Attempt to kill Mikhail added to charges in Sheena murder case

    Police still chased the motive behind Sheena’s murder and were trying to ascertain where the accused dumped the 24-year-old victim’s clothes, mobile phone and other belongings after the killing.

    Khanna’s lawyer argued that police were only awaiting the reports of the forensic tests and there was no need to extend his police custody. He could be sent to judicial custody instead.

    Indrani’s lawyers that alleged police were using pressure tactics such as manhandling her in custody to force a confession from her.

    Her lawyers wondered if there was anything more to ask since she had been interrogated for around 90 hours following her arrest on August 25. But investigators have contended that she and the other two accused have clammed up and not cooperating with the investigation.

    Indrani is accused of strangling Sheena in a car with the help of Khanna and the driver. Her body was later set on fire and buried in a forest in Raigad district on April 24, 2012.

    Police have found some of the skeletal remains after the driver, who was arrested on August 21 for keeping an unlicenced firearm, took officers to the secret burial site.

    (With inputs from agencies)

    Read: Cops take accused to Raigad to recreate crime scene

    Sheena murder probe to focus on passport, call records, money trail

    Full coverage: Sheena Bora murder mystery

Delhi gangrape: Constable dies, online debate begins

  • Agencies, New Delhi
  • |
  • Updated: Dec 13, 2013 17:34 IST

Constable Subhash Tomar at RML Hospital in Delhi. He was injured while controlling protesters at India Gate on December 23. PTI

The death of Constable Subhash Chand Tomar, who was on duty at India Gate where people were protesting against the gangrapge of a 23-year-old woman, sparked an online debate on the public perception of policemen.

Tomar, 45, died of cardiac arrest. He had suffered no injuries--internal or external, said a senior official Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.

"He died of cardio-pulmonary arrest at 6:40am on Tuesday. He was brought to the hospital in a state of cardiac arrest and was given CPR. Our bed-side investigations found no gross internal injuries or bleeding and externally also only few bruises on the chest," said Dr TS Sidhu, medical superintendent, Ram Manohar Lohia hospital.

He was on ventilator since his admission at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital on Sunday evening.

Sidhu said: "His condition deteriorated at night. We will get to know the exact reasons of death after post mortem."

"With deep regret, we have to inform you Constable Subhash Chand Tomar succumbed to his injuries at 6:40am today," Delhi Police commissioner Neeraj Kumar said.

Tomar, a graduate in arts, hailed from Meerut in Uttar Pradesh.

He was posted in Karawal Nagar area and was called for maintaining law and order at India Gate area during the protests on Sunday over the gangrape of a 23-year-old girl on December 16 in Delhi.

According to police officers, after he fell on the street, he was kicked and beaten. His colleagues spotted him unconscious and bleeding and rushed him to hospital.

Since then, Tomar remained on ventilator and never regained consciousness.

Tomar, who died after being injured during protests against the gang-rape of a woman, was cremated with full state honours in New Delhi on Tuesday. 

Minister of state for home RPN Singh, chief minister Sheila Dikshit, home secretary RK Singh, Delhi Police commissioner Neeraj Kumar and many police officers were among the 1,000 people who attended the cremation at Nigambodh Ghat in central Delhi.

The last rites were performed by Tomar's sons Deepak and Sonu.

Additional commissioner of police VV Chaudhary said that Tomar was an "exceptionally sincere and hard working" policeman who had earned 77 commendations since joining Delhi Police in 1987.

The anguished family blamed the violent protesters for Tomar's death.

"The public is responsible for my father's death. He was brutally beaten up by people. Can they return my father back?" asked a wailing Deepak, his 22-year-old son.

"No politician came to visit my father in hospital."

Police officers said Tomar also had a 24-year-old daughter and another son.

Tomar's brother Yudhveer Singh too blamed the mob.

"They are responsible for this. What was his fault? He was only doing his job and now he is no more," he said.

Yudhveer Singh urged those protesting against the rape of the 23-year-old, who too is in critical condition, to stay calm.

Devinder Singh, another brother of the dead man, added: "He was the only earning person in his family. What will happen to them now?"

"He was truly a very nice man and a good policeman," said Lekh Raj, the head of Karawal Nagar police station in northeast district where Tomar was posted only two months ago.

Eight people were Sunday night arrested for the attack on Tomar but got bail the next day, joint commissioner of police Taj Hassan said. They will now be booked for murder.

"We have lost a brave soldier. We will take action... We will certainly help his family," a senior police official said.


also read

Muslim groups oppose decision to rename Aurangzeb Road after Kalam

blog comments powered by Disqus