Delhi rape in fast-track court, trial opens Jan 21

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • |
  • Updated: Jan 18, 2013 00:20 IST

A month after the brutal gang rape of a young woman in a moving bus in Delhi and impassioned demands from across India for quick action against the perpetrators, the case was transferred Thursday to a fast-track court, which will start hearings from January 21.

The proceedings against five accused will be conducted by additional sessions judge Yogesh Khanna, who heads the fast-track court at the Saket court complex.

The case of the sixth accused - a minor - is being heard by a Juvenile Justice Board.

The fast-track court is expected to hold daily hearings.

The defence lawyers said they had already received soft copies of the chargesheet and related documents.

They also said the prosecution's plea to bring the five men in handcuffs was rejected.




The 23-year-old physiotherapy student was gang-raped, her male friend beaten and both of them stripped and thrown off the bus on December 16.

Severely battered, she fought for her life for 10 days at Safdarjung Hospital before being sent to a Singapore hospital, where she died on December 30.

The five men - Ram Singh, his brother Mukesh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur - have been charged with kidnapping, gang rape, unnatural sex, murder, attempt to murder, dacoity, wrongful confinement and criminal conspiracy and destruction of evidence.

The case was committed to the sessions judge by metropolitan magistrate Namrita Aggarwal, who conducted the proceedings in-camera.

 

also read

Lalu names Delhi gangrape victim at Kolkata meet

blog comments powered by Disqus