As Indian and Chinese local military commanders held a flag meeting on Tuesday over the alleged incursion by Chinese troops in Ladakh, external affairs minister Salman Khurshid ruled out any need to hold diplomatic-level talks on the issue.
"There is no need for diplomatic-level talks," Khurshid told reporters outside Parliament.
He said the commanders from both sides would hold discussions "to work out a solution at flag meetings, as they have been doing in the past".
According to reports, Chinese troops had allegedly intruded 10 kilometres deep inside Indian territory in Ladakh and set up a tented post there. The Indian Army is also reported to have moved in more troops in the region. Beijing has denied any incursion across the Line of Actual Control, which is a notional line.
India had raised the issue with China last week.
Khurshid said India and China have set up a mechanism to resolve border issues. He also reiterated that both sides have made progress in their bilateral ties and it is not necessary to raise a question on such issues.
Khurshid said India will take "necessary action" in the matter.
Defence minister AK Antony had said on Monday that India will take "every step" to protect its interests to resolve the situation arising out of the alleged incursion by Chinese troops into Indian territory.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying had said on Monday that "China's frontier troops have been abiding by the agreement between the two countries and abiding by the LAC (Line of Actual Control) agreed by the two countries".
"Our frontier troops have been patrolling on the China's side of LAC," Hua had said, adding, "Our troops are patrolling on the Chinese side of the LAC and have never trespassed the line."