The North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) has decided to postpone the sealing of mobile phone towers under its jurisdiction for another 15 days.
Municipal commissioner PK Gupta met representatives of telecom companies on Monday to discuss the sealing of illegal towers and, after deliberations, gave them 15 days to "either regularise the towers or shift them elsewhere".
"At the meeting, the telecom companies requested for more time to get their towers regularised. Even those towers located on top of schools and hospitals have been spared for the moment," said Gupta.
In east Delhi, however, the office of Shahdara south zone sent out sealing notices to 60 towers on Monday. In the notice, the corporation has asked them to reply in the coming few days to avoid sealing. "If no satisfactory reply is received, then we will go ahead and carry out the drive," said a senior official of east corporation.
The municipal body has sealed 11 towers in the last one month.
In north Delhi, the commissioner had ordered officials to start sealing illegal towers from last week but due to requests from the companies concerned, he postponed the implementation of the orders.
The corporation has so far issued sealing notices to 660 mobile towers that were operating illegally from various areas in north Delhi.
“Notices have been served on 660 mobile towers as they were identified as illegal. The owners have been given a 15-day notice after which the sealing process would start,” commissioner PK Gupta had told the House last week.
The corporation has also ordered a fresh survey that is likely to see an increase in the number of illegal towers. It has a total of 1,900 towers under its jurisdiction.