Eighteen days after captured terror suspect Ajmal Amir Kasab admitted to his role partially in last year’s terrorist attack on November 26, on Friday he dramatically expressed desire to plead guilty to all the remaining charges against him.
This time, however, the drama lasted only for half an hour as the suspected Lashkar-e-Tayyeba operative backtracked, and the special court of judge M.L. Taheliyani proceeded with the trial without a break. Kasab wanted to say something when the court rose for lunch break on Friday. He urged the judge saying, “Sir, kuchh kahna hai (I want to say something).”
Taheliyani said, “You have said earlier whatever you wanted to say.” To which the 21-year-old replied, “Mujhe baki baatein bhi kabul hai” (I am admitting to the remaining charges too).”
The court asked him to talk to his lawyer, Abbas Kazmi and inform the court of his decision after the lunch break.
Half an hour later when the court reassembled Kazmi told the judge that he (Kasab) thinks the trial would come to an end
the moment he pleads guilty to all the charges.
The judge again asked him about his decision as the defence lawyer did not give a hint about his client’s decision. On the contrary, Kazmi, like special prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam, requested the court to proceed with the trial ignoring Kasab’s latest wish.
The judge then turned towards the accused and asked him whether to continue the trial. The accused replied, “Jaisi aapki marji. Chalta hai to chalne do, jo hoga samne aa jayega.”
Apparently irked by the changing stand the judge rapped him saying the trials are conducted not as per whims of the judges but as per procedure laid down by the law.
The judge decided to proceed with the trial after confirming that the accused wasn’t even aware of the remaining charges, for which he wanted to plead guilty.