The Pakistan Cricket Board ruled out taking any further action against Mohammad Asif after the IPL banned him for one year. The PCB had been undecided about how to deal with Asif but the IPL’s Wednesday decision made things easier for them, said chairman Ijaz Butt.
“Asif was banned from all cricket activities after he tested positive for nandrolone and it was decided that he would be barred from any activity related with PCB, ICC or ICC members until a final decision was reached. We are happy the IPL has come out with its verdict and we will consider him for selection as soon as he finishes the ban period,” Butt said.
“It was the IPL’s call to decide Asif’s fate. We can’t punish Asif twice for the same mistake.”
Asif escaped a life ban since his first offence in 2006 came in an out-of-competition test conducted privately by the PCB.
Explaining the quantum of punishment, IPL CEO Sundar Raman said, “The IPL tribunal members found out that Asif didn't take the banned substance with an intention to enhance his performance. They have heard all defences to that effect and the penalty was decided in compliance with the IPL anti-doping code.”
Asif’s ban will be effective from Sep 22 last year and his IPL team, Delhi Daredevils, have already released from his contract.