Holi may have been played in the country for ages. But over the years, the parties that take place in the city have grown in scale. What used to be about assembling with friends and neighbours in the locality and having a good time, have now become ostentatious affairs. From celebrities to the swish set to up-and-coming young corporates, everyone wants in on a big Holi party. And Mumbai offer a host of options.
Rain dance. Check.
International DJs. Check.
Sea-facing venue. Check.
And there’s even more: foam pool, and even artificial snow in tropical Mumbai!
We pick five of the biggest slated for this year.
1. WHAT: Plus 91 Holi Reloaded, 2014 | WHERE: JVPD Grounds | WHEN: 10 am to 10 pm | WHAT IT COSTS: 1,250; VIP 6,000 | FOOTFALL EXPECTED: 3,000
This is, by far, expected to be the biggest Holi party in Mumbai this year. It will have 11 Indian and three international DJs playing EDM. The international DJs include Leon Boiler from the Netherlands and Flipper from Israel. The Indian lot will comprise DJ Ankytrixx and DJ Bulls Eye (Shakti Kapoor’s son, Siddhanth Kapoor). VJ Tarang will be the visual jockey for the event. Two separate sections will be reserved for a rain dance, where revellers will also be provided with organic colour. Nisha Harale and Siddharth Kanan will be the comperes for the event. Apart from a flea market, there will also be several live food stations. Mukti Foundation, an NGO that supports the empowerment of women, will benefit from the ticket sales at this event. More than 150 television and film celebrities are expected to be seen here.
2. WHAT: Holi Colour Blast | WHERE: Juhu Hotel | WHEN: 10 am to 5 pm | WHAT IT COSTS: 1,250 (includes one food coupon) | FOOTFALL EXPECTED: 1,000
DJs Ramji Gulati, Paroma and Dash will spin popular tracks at this party. There will 15 varieties of festival delicacies available along with live food counters. The sea-facing venue will have separate VIP and VVIP sections. TV celebrities, who are also expected here, along with other VIP guests, will have access to a specially constructed elevated dance floor. The funds generated from the ticket sales here will be directed towards an NGO called Apna Ghar that helps the homeless.
3. WHAT: Elektro Holi | WHERE: Sodawala Wadi Farms, Near Manoribel, Manori | WHEN: 9 am to 9 pm | WHAT IT COSTS: 600 | FOOTBALL EXPECTED: 500
This open-air Holi party will take place on a ground next to the beach. Underground music producers Silence Projekt, Jeet Zitar, Audio-Bomb Nano and Psycho Punditz will play original psychedelic and fusion music throughout the day. Guests will be handed colour.
4. WHAT: Holi Siesta Rang Barse - Play It Safe | WHERE: Emerald Lawns, Chembur | WHEN: 11 am to 6 pm | WHAT IT COSTS: `3,000 for a couple (includes unlimited alcohol, food) | FOOTFALL EXPECTED: 700.
In its fourth year, this Holi party will be held around a swimming pool that can accommodate 120 people. The party will also have flower showers, artificial snowfall and a foam pool. Five DJs are slated to play international and Bollywood hits. Once in, guests will be handed packets of herbal colour. There will also be live food counters serving festive delicacies and drinks.
5. WHAT: RasLeela Holi | WHERE: Celebration Club, Lokhandwala, Andheri (W) | WHEN: 10 am to 6 pm | WHAT IT COSTS: 1,500 for couples, 1,000 per stag and 16,000 for VIP entry (includes entry for eight people and full cover) | FOOTFALL EXPECTED: 1,500.
This party will be split into two sections — one will continue by the poolside with a rain dance division; and the other, will take place in the indoor part of the venue. DJ Notorious and DJ Amore will play only Bollywood dance tracks at this event. There will also be live dhol performances and local food options on offer.