Arise countrymen
Point of Contention
The Plot of Death
'Leave Bose alone'
  Shah Nawaz Report
G D Khosla Report
Foreign files tell all
  Mukherjee panel
  Why this probe?
The G B Pant pact
General's revelation
Wireless interception
Rishikesh sighting
The dubious yogi
His Vision
  His Struggle
  His Speeches
  His Letters
  His Books
  His Life & Times
  Indian National Army
  The Air-crash
  1931 - 1950
  1951 - 1980
  1981 - 2000
  India in World War II
  Indian National Army in East Asia
  Download site
  Mail the site
  Post your comments
  Read other views
You are here: Home > Netaji Home >Controversy

In the late afternoon of August 18, 1945, twelve persons with burns were wheeled into Nanmon Military Hospital, Taihoku, Taipei, shortly after a message reached the duty  doctor that a Japanese bomber  carrying them had crashed at a  nearby aerodrome.

One of the victims, a well-built Indian, had burns all over his body, heart and face, and he was in a critical condition. The Medical Officer at the hospital, Capt T Yoshini, was told that the man was Indian leader "Chandra Bose", who along with his adjutant Col Habibur Rehman and 11 Japanese officers were on a flight to an undisclosed destination.

Dr Yoshini had at the time Dr T Tusuruta and another doctor to assist him, besides a dozen Japanese and Formosan nurses. Dr Tusuruta bandaged the Indian leader, while Capt Yoshini gave him four shots of vita-camphor and two injections of digitamine to stabilize his heart. Capt Yoshini also gave him three intravenous injections of Ringer-solution of 500 cc each to prevent infection.

The treatment was initially given in the dressing room, and later, Bose was moved to ward No. 2 for further treatment. Bose and Col Rehman were in the same ward. Towards 5 p.m., Bose was given a blood transfusion to relieve the pressure on his heart. The blood was taken from a Japanese soldier in the Nanmon Army Hospital.

Initially, Bose seemed to respond to the treatment. He remained conscious and even asked for water occasionally. To communicate better with the hospital staff, an interpreter, Juichi Nakamura, was sent for to assist him. (Bose and Col Rehman had known Nakamura as he was their interpreter on several occasions, during their stop over in Taipei on their trips between Southeast Asia and Japan.

About 7.30 p.m., Dr Tusuruta noticed that Bose's pulse count had dropped. He hurriedly gave Bose injections of vita-camphor and digitamine but his heart and pulse beat kept falling, and he died about 2300 hrs, according to Dr Yoshini's statement recorded by the British in Hong Kong's Stanley Jail on October 19, 1946.

Capt Youshini later wrote Netaji's death certificate: "Writing his name in Japanese (kata kana) as "Chandra Bose" and giving the cause of his death as 'burns of third degree'." (According to a version, the death certificate was written on August 20, 1945, after the Japanese government retracted its decision to send Bose's body to Tokyo.)

At that time, there were seven persons in the room: Dr Yoshini, Dr T Tusuruta, two nurses, Col Habibur Rehman, J Nakamura (interpreter) and a medical orderly (Kazo Mitsui)

The crash
Crew and passengers
Cause of the air crash
Passengers' fate
History of the flight
Impact of the surrender
The next step

Fact of the Matter
  New clips
  Post your comments
  Q&A with experts
Send your feedback at
Hindustan Times House, 18-20, Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi 110001, India
©Hindustan Times Ltd. 1997. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without prior permission. For reprinting rights, please write to us
For Online Advertisement Queries mail to
This site is best viewed in IE5.0 and Netscape 4.72 at 800 X 600 resolution