12-year-old ran away as she couldn’t finish school work: Ghaziabad police | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 30, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

12-year-old ran away as she couldn’t finish school work: Ghaziabad police

The Ghaziabad police found the missing girl, Archie Yadav, from Kangra district in Himachal Pradesh

noida Updated: Feb 17, 2017 22:44 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
Archie Yadav

The girl, Archie Yadav, was caught in a CCTV camera running outside her house on the afternoon of February 13.(Sakib Ali/HT File Photo)

The Ghaziabad police team that reached Kangra district in Himachal Pradesh on Friday morning to find a missing 12-year-old girl from the city found that she had run away from home as she could not complete her school science assignment, police said. The girl, Archie Yadav, was caught in a CCTV camera running outside her house on the afternoon of February 13.

Ghaziabad police on Friday said Yadav had fled her house at Indirapuram because she was unable to complete her assignments at school. The girl, a student of class 6 at a private school in Vaishali, was spotted by the Kangra police at a bus stand in the district on February 14.

“When asked, she said her name was Tina Devi and she had run away from an orphanage in Haridwar where she was harassed by two staff members Suman and Suresh. When the police tried to verify this, the information was found to be incorrect. She also said she was studying in Father Agnel School, Haridwar, but this also could not be verified. Then she told them about her Ghaziabad school and gave them her family’s mobile number. She said she was abducted from her house by two courier boys,” said Salmantaj Patil, officiating senior superintendent of police (SSP), Ghaziabad.

He added that her various statements were recorded in the police general diary at Kangra.

“However, the police then told her that she was seen running from her house in CCTV footage. She then said she had been worried about her science assignment at school. She said she had completed her physics assignment, but could not complete the one for chemistry. We verified and corroborated this with her school teacher who said that Archie was told to complete the pending chemistry assignment within time,” Patil added.

During initial investigation among her neighbours, a senior citizen couple had told police that Archie was sitting with them after returning from her school on February 13 and had looked upset.

Police said they also checked her family’s mobile phone and landline call details but did not find any suspicious calls. They were checking whether any person had called her and asked her to come out of the house.

“Her mother had left her inside the house after locking the main door from outside. She made a call at 2.51pm and spoke to the girl who was at home at the time. Later, the girl was seen running away in a CCTV camera outside the house. How she reached Kangra is yet to be known. Once she returns with the police team and her parents, we will provide her counselling and get her statements recorded before a magistrate. Her medical examination will also be conducted,” the SSP added. Officials said they have not concluded investigation in the case.

Archie’s parents, who are with her in Kangra now, did not take any calls. On Thursday, her father Subhash Yadav had claimed that his daughter was hypnotised by an unknown woman and abducted. However, police said there is no evidence of her going away with any woman and a neighbour also saw her alone on the afternoon of February 13.

After her disappearance, locals had staged a protest and burnt several shanties in Indirapuram. Police have lodged an FIR against unidentified persons and are on the lookout for miscreants in the case.

Archie had left the house after opening the main door with a set of keys kept inside the house. Her mother had gone to pick up her other daughter and had locked the main door from outside. On leaving the house, Archie again locked the main door and kept the keys on the stairs.