Admin to crack down on sale of Chinese manjha | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 22, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Admin to crack down on sale of Chinese manjha

noida Updated: Aug 18, 2016 23:33 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
Peeyush Khandelwal
Hindustan Times

Eight-year-old Aryan received 24 stitches after a manjha string cut his neck while riding on the petrol tank of a bike. (HT File)

Following several incidents in which residents were injured gravely by Chinese manjha, the district magistrate issued an order, banning sale and stocking of the deadly string.

District magistrate Nidhi Kesarwani directed the additional district magistrates, city magistrate and sub divisional magistrates, along with police department, to check sale and stocking of the item.

“Officials have been told to carry out checks and even seal and serve notice to shops or vendors found selling or stocking such items. The order is in view of the directions of the Allahabad high court. This time, the orders are written and the officials should make all efforts for compliance,” she said.

In a decision by the Allahabad high court in November 2015 on a public interest litigation, a bench of then chief justice Dr Dhananjaya Yeshwant Chandrachud and justice Yashwant Varma had said that, “The state government shall adopt all appropriate steps for enforcement in accordance with law, including necessary steps to prohibit manufacture, use and sale of Chinese manjha in any form whatsoever (sic).”

A petitioner had moved the court demanding prohibition on manufacture and sale of the string, after injuries and a death were reported due to the material.

A couple of days ago in Ghaziabad, 8-year-old Aryan had to get around 24 stitches on his throat after the plastic base manjha enveloped the boy around his throat while riding on a bike with his father at Vijay Nagar.

“Had my son died, no one would have been held responsible for the act. Sale of such material must be stopped immediately,” Raja Kumar, Aryan’s father, said.

On July 8, 52-year-old Yogesh Sharma, a Delhi resident, had died after plastic manjha slashed his throat while the victim was riding a bike and returning home on the Thakurdwara flyover in Ghaziabad. He suffered massive bleeding and succumbed before reaching the hospital.

Besides injuries to residents, the manjha is also known to cause severe injuries to birds, especially during Rakshabandhan and Independence Day celebrations, when enthusiasts kite flying reaches its peak.

“Humans and birds suffer to a great extent due to the Chinese manjha as it is not easily breakable. Other types (of manjha) snap if they hit people riding two-wheeler or other vehicles. There have been enough incidents where people have suffered injuries and even died. Such items must be banned and residents should stop buying such items,” Ruchin Mehra, an activist from People for Animals, said.

Tata Tea’s Anthem of apathy
Partnered feature