Bulandshahr gangrape victims’ kin want flats in Noida for safety
The family of the Bulandshahr gang rape victims has asked authorities to provide flats in Noida as they fear that their identity has been revealed in Ghaziabad due to the constant media coverage.noida Updated: Aug 26, 2016 00:55 IST
The family of the Bulandshahr gang rape victims has asked authorities to provide flats in Noida as they fear that their identity has been revealed in Ghaziabad due to the constant media coverage.
The 13-year-old victim’s father has written to the Ghaziabad district magistrate (DM) to allot them flats outside Ghaziabad. Two flats were earlier allotted to the families of the brothers, who were travelling on July 29 to Shajahanpur in their car and were waylaid at Bulandshahr.
“I have made a request and sent it by post to the Ghaziabad district magistrate. This was done, since the place (in Ghaziabad) is not suitable and we will not be able to protect our identities. We need a different location which is safe, maybe Noida, and where our identities remain concealed,” said the girl’s father.
“Since the incident, my daughter is not able to attend school. I will also need to get her admitted in a different school. She often suffers health issues. Now, there is no movement of politicians to our house... we also remain confined to our house and don’t talk much even to neighbours,” he added.
The politicians’ visits attracted a lot of media attention for nearly a fortnight, exposing the family’s ordeal and trauma to the outside world.
His elder brother, whose wife was allotted the second flat, said he has not given a request to change the allotted flat to a different location, but will consider it in future.
However, district magistrate Nidhi Kesarwani said she has not received the letter so far.
“We came to know that they wish the flats be allotted in place like Noida. Once we receive the request, we will forward the letter to respective district magistrate and copy marked to state administration for further action. The amount of `10 lakh each for the two victims, announced by the Chief Minister, has already been transferred to their bank accounts,” the DM said.
The minor girl and her mother were allegedly gang raped, while the others were beaten up and robbed in the agricultural fields, adjacent to Bulandshahr’s Dostpur village on NH-91.
Six people were arrested by the UP police, but the Allahabad high court on August 12 cited police laxity on various accounts. It directed the Central Bureau of Investigation to take up the case.