Cops clear encroachments from cycle tracks | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Cops clear encroachments from cycle tracks

noida Updated: Jul 14, 2016 00:09 IST
Dhananjay Jha
Dhananjay Jha
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Cycle tracks have also been painted red to demarcate them.(Sunil Ghosh/HT Photo)

The Noida traffic police has started removing encroachments like parked vehicles and street vendors’ stalls from cycle tracks across the city to enable cyclists to use them freely. A week ago, Royal Haskoning DHV, the company assigned the cycle track work by the Noida authority, had also started painting the cycle tracks red to specially demarcate them. They also carried out other civil works like putting up signage, signals and painting zebra crossings near the tracks.

“We received complaints of encroachments on cycle tracks in Sector 62 and other areas such as Master Plan (MP) 1 Road. Cyclists have been finding it completely impossible to ride in these dedicated corridors created for them. Our purpose was to make the tracks accessible to cyclists,” said Prabal Pratap Singh, superintendent of police (SP), traffic, Noida.

The Noida authority plans to construct 100 kilometres of bicycle tracks in the city. It has completed nearly 28 km of tracks, but most of them are blocked by parked cars and vendors using the space to run their businesses.

“We have a circle-wise plan to build cycle tracks across the city and have hired a private contractor of international repute for this purpose. Civil works are also underway at several places where tracks have been completed. We hope the project will be completed by the end of the year,” said AK Goel, chief project engineer, Noida authority.

In April 2015, the UP government had announced that it would build cycle tracks in rapidly-developing Noida, which is seeing a rise in population. Chief minister Akhilesh Yadav had directed Noida officials to implement the plan on priority basis.

“We have completed 65% of the civil works on cycle tracks completed in Circle 1, 4, 5 and 9. We hope to complete the remaining 35% by August-end. We are painting the tracks red and putting up signage and signals,” said Sapan Gupta, project manager, Royal Haskoning DHV.

<