Dadri lynching: Ikhlaq’s kin say third juvenile is an adult, seeks FIR

  • Abhishek Anand, Hindustan Times, Greater Noida
  • Updated: Sep 23, 2016 16:10 IST
Lynch victim Mohd Ikhlaq’s family (above) has sought reinvestigation into the age of the third juvenile accused who was recently released from the detention centre. (HT Photo)

The family of slain Mohammad Ikhlaq, who was lynched by a mob last year over suspicion of slaughtering a cow, has sought reinvestigation into the age of the third juvenile accused who was recently released from the detention centre.

Ikhlaq’s daughter, Shaista,20, sought an FIR and reinvestigation from the police on the grounds that the accused, who is claiming to be a juvenile, was her classmate in class 10 in 2009, in which he failed to clear his exams.

“The accused was granted bail on September 6 after the court refused the police’s claim that he is an adult. His family and counsel produced high school marks sheet from a school that is around four-five kilometres from his village. The accused was a student of class 10 in 2009 and was a classmate of Shaista at the inter-college in Bisada village, which indicates that his date of birth was fudged,” Yusuf Saifi, counsel for Ikhlaq’s family, said.

Fifty-five-year-old Bisada village resident Ikhlaq and his younger son Danish were attacked by a mob on September 28, 2015, over suspicion of slaughtering a cow on Bakr Eid and storing its meat for consumption. Ikhlaq had succumbed to his injuries while Danish survived with a fractured skull.

Eighteen persons, including three juveniles, were arrested on charges of murder. All three juveniles have been released on bail.

“We have sought registration of an FIR under sections of fraud against the accused and his father for fudging his date of birth to get bail as a juvenile. The accused is enrolled in the local voter’s list and we also have a certificate of his enrolment at Rana Sangram Singh inter college for class 10 in 2009. At the time of the incident, he was older than 21 years,” Saifi said.

Asked about the application, the police said they have not received a copy yet. However, any complaint from victim’s side will be investigated, they said.

“So far, I have not received a copy of the complaint. Any irregularity in the affidavits filed by the accused persons can be investigated,” Pradeep Kumar, in-charge of Jarcha police station, said.

Read more: Third Juvenile released on bail in Dadri lynching case

From Around the Web
Sponsored by Revcontent

also read

Miranda student injured in road accident still critical
Show comments