Two flats in Assotech Springfields Apartments in Sector Zeta 1 were damaged in a fire, allegedly caused due to a short-circuit, on Thursday.
The complex has both highrise and lowrise towers. Fire broke out in a lowrise tower which has six floor towers.
The apartment owners, alleging lack of proper maintenance, have lodged an FIR against the builder. The builder’s representative, however, claimed the fire fighting system was working properly.
“Fire broke out on the fifth floor of L-7 tower around 11am. Fire extinguishers and other fire-fighting systems were not working. Residents had to pour buckets of water till fire tenders reached the complex,” said Navin Kumar, secretary of the RWA.
“There was a short-circuit in a bathroom and it caused a fire in my apartment on the fifth floor. As the fire spread to the master bedroom, I and my family members moved out to safety. The fire-fighting system was not working. Now, the fire has damaged the entire house,” said Kuldeep Bhati, resident of the L7-052 apartment.
Soon the fire spread to the sixth floor apartment of Dr SB Sundaram. He is 92 years old and lives with his wife. “Other residents came to our rescue. They lifted the elderly man and brought him downstairs,” Bhati said.
“We have lodged an FIR against the builder for improper maintenance and a dysfunctional fire-fighting system,” Bhati said.
Fire station officer, Matloob Hasan, said, “Initially, we thought it (the fire) may be due to crackers. But an investigation revealed it was due to a short-circuit. The fire-fighting system was working but there was an obstruction in the passageway which caused hindrance to the movement of firemen.”
A spokesperson of Assotech said, “Our system is working properly. However, if residents have any problem, we can discuss with them and improve the system as per their suggestion and with their cooperation. Our aim is to provide proper service to residents.”