Fire at playschool in Vasundhara, Ghaziabad, 50 children rescued | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 22, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Fire at playschool in Vasundhara, Ghaziabad, 50 children rescued

According to the fire department officials, the fire started in an electrical panel located on the ground floor of Sanport Playschool in Sector 5, Vasundhara. A worried set of parents rushed to the school on hearing the news.

noida Updated: May 02, 2017 23:02 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
The fire started in an electrical panel located on the ground floor of Sanport Playschool in Sector 5, Vasundhara.
The fire started in an electrical panel located on the ground floor of Sanport Playschool in Sector 5, Vasundhara.(Sakib Ali/HT Photo)

Nearly 50 students of a playschool were rescued on Tuesday after a fire started at their school complex in Vasundhara.

According to the fire department officials, the fire started in an electrical panel located on the ground floor of Sanport Playschool in Sector 5, Vasundhara. A worried set of parents rushed to the school on hearing the news.

The incident follows on the heels of another case of fire that caused a major scare among the specially-abled children at a rehabilitation centre in Indirapuram.

“It was not a major incident; only the electricity meter had caught fire. We had fire extinguishers ready and the fire was doused. There were nearly 60-70 students on the premises, who were immediately evacuated by the school staff and handed over to their parents,” a school staff said.

When asked whether the school had requisite permissions to operate in a residential locality, the staff told that he would get back with an answer and did not provide the contact details of the school principal. However, the school authorities failed to answer the question till late evening.

“The fire started in an electrical panel and was caused due to a short circuit or overloading. They had taken a 50kw connection but it is a residential area. We asked the officials whether they had permissions from Avas Vikas (Housing Board) for running the school in a residential area but the officials did not reply. The total area of the plot is 288 square metre and we will write to the authorities about the issue,” said Som Dutt Sonkar, fire safety officer, Vaishali.

The playschool had portable fire extinguishers that were used by the school staff to douse the fire.

“The playschool is run on two storeys — ground and first floor. The second floor is a residential floor. The fire started in the driveway on the ground floor,” Sonkar said.

In a similar incident on April 28, an electrical panel caught fire in a rehabilitation centre meant for specially-abled students in Gyan Khand of Indirapuram. The fire department officials had to toil hard to rescue nearly 80 children, who were evacuated from the main entrance and also from the upper floor to the roofs of the adjacent buildings. No casualty was reported in the incident.