First hurdle cleared for 67-acre landfill in Greater Noida | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 30, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

First hurdle cleared for 67-acre landfill in Greater Noida

The Noida authority officials have said the state level environment impact assessment authority (SEIAA), a five member committee, has approved a proposal to develop a 67-acre landfill in Greater Noida’s Astoli village.

noida Updated: May 01, 2016 01:22 IST
Vinod Rajput
landfill site

The 67-acre landfill site in Greater Noida’s Astoli village.(Sunil Ghosh/ HT Photo)

The Noida authority officials have said the state level environment impact assessment authority (SEIAA), a five member committee, has approved a proposal to develop a 67-acre landfill in Greater Noida’s Astoli village.

The planned city of Noida, developed 40 years ago, does not have a landfill site for disposal of municipal solid waste.

The issue has drawn a lot of flak from environmentalists.

A study by Housing & Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO), a government agency and consultant with the Noida authority for waste disposal, stated that a person generates 500 grams of waste per day while a family of five generates 2.5kg of waste a day. According to the study, Noida’s 14 lakh population generates nearly 660 tonnes of

waste daily.

“Approval from the committee is a big achievement. Now the proposal will be approved by a small committee before SEIAA issues a final environment clearance to our landfill site to be used for disposal of waste from Noida

and Greater Noida,” said Samakant Shrivastava project engineer, Noida authority.

The authority hopes SEIAA will issue a final environmental clearance in a month’s time.

“Approval from the big committee takes a longer time. So now, we are hopeful of making this landfill operational by 2018-end,” Shrivastava said.

The Greater Noida authority is likely to begin work on the boundary wall around the site after completing the necessary paper work.

Two authorities — Noida and Greater Noida — had expedited the work on the landfill site after

the central pollution control board (CPCB) — in its long term action plan to reduce pollution — said construction of a municipal solid waste processing complex is crucial for the two cities.

The Noida authority had applied for environment clearance on July 1, 2015.

The first meeting with SEIAA took place on July 23, 2015. Two authorities submitted detailed plan of the landfill project on August 20, 2015. All requirement, as demanded by SEIAA, were completed by November 11, 2015.

The Greater Noida authority had already acquired 70 % of the land required for the project. Farmers, who own the remaining 30 % land, are ready to sell.

District magistrate NP singh is monitoring this project to ensure that it is not delayed.

“I have directed the two authorities to complete work on this landfill site without delay as it will help in mitigating the rising pollution level in the city,” Singh said.

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature