Ghaziabad: Minors flying kite suffer shock from 132Kv electricity line | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 22, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Ghaziabad: Minors flying kite suffer shock from 132Kv electricity line

According to a neighbour of the victims, who spotted the incident and rushed the three boys to a hospital, the incident took place around 5.30pm while the boys were flying a kite and holding a long string that got entangled with the transmission lines.

noida Updated: Jun 29, 2017 11:36 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
One of the injured boys.
One of the injured boys.(Sakib Ali/HT Photo)

Three minor boys who were flying kite after the brief spell of rain on Wednesday sustained severe burn injuries after they were electrocuted on coming in contact with a high-capacity 132 Kv electricity transmission line. The incident took place in a park at Lal Quarter locality of Ghaziabad and the three boys were rushed to the hospital.

The three boys were identified as Manpreet Singh, 14, Navjot Singh, 9, and Bhavya, 10.

According to a neighbour of the victims, who spotted the incident and rushed the three boys to a hospital, the incident took place around 5.30pm while the boys were flying a kite and holding a long string that got entangled with the transmission lines.

“I heard them shout and rushed to the spot. They sustained burns on their face, hands and other parts of the body. Two of them were later rushed to Delhi by their families. The third one was admitted to a hospital in Ghaziabad,” said Mohammad Javed, their neighbour.

“It is probable that they got electrocuted as the kite string and the park that the boys were in were wet, which caused an electric shock. Even the ground of the park that was covered with grass was wet and the three were standing next to each other,” he said.

The doctor at Sarvodaya Hospital said that Navjot was under treatment at the hospital and he had sustained nearly 15% burn injuries.

“He suffered burns to his face, legs and hands. We are giving him treatment and he is stable. The boy said that their kite and string got entangled with the transmission line and they suffered a shock. Such incidents usually take place during rains. The other two boys were not admitted to our hospital and taken to Delhi by their families,” said Dr Sanjay Mishra, the doctor attending to the case.

Officials of the electricity department said that the 132 Kv transmission line feeds the diesel powerhouse substation from Murad Nagar.

“The transmission line is maintained by the transmission department. However, there is no negligence on part of the department as such, despite the fact that incident was a tragic one. It is quite possible that they may have been using Chinese manjha, which got wet and led to electric shock from the high capacity lines,” Siddharth Mishra, executive engineer, Paschimanchal Vidyut Vitaran Nigam Limited, said.