A major fire broke out at a paint manufacturing factory in Udyog Kunj Industrial area near National Highway (NH) 24 under Masuri police station’s jurisdiction on Wednesday afternoon. Goods worth Rs. 12 crore were destroyed but no one was injured, the factory owner said.
The factory, belonging to Hindustan Chemicals Private Limited, comprises of a single floor and a basement.
“At around 12.30 pm, a small fire started in the electrical channel due to a short circuit on the ground floor. Around 60 workers were present inside the building at the time. All of them were asked to move out immediately,” said Subhash Chandra, the factory owner who was present at the premises at the time of the incident. The small fire turned into a major fire due to the presence of chemicals.
According to fire department officials, it took 14 fire tenders over three hours to completely extinguish the fire, which also damaged parts of neighbouring factories.
“We received information about the incident at around 1.15 pm. Fire tenders from all four of Ghaziabad’s stations including Hindon air base, were pressed into service along with those from neighbouring Hapur and Noida. The cause of the fire was a short circuit in the electrical system inside the factory,” said AK Sharma, chief fire officer, Ghaziabad.
He added that the factory housed a huge quantity of reactive chemicals on its premises.
“While the 60 gas cylinders lying inside the factory were removed before the fire engulfed the building, a blast in four containers of chemicals inside the building aggravated the blaze,” said Sharma.
According to the factory owner, if the fire had reached the basement of the building, the damage would have been enormous.
“Fortunately, the fire did not reach the basement, which contains six lakh litres of thinner. If it had reached there, a large explosion would have taken place,” said Chandra.