Indirapuram highrise fire: Two workers succumb to burns | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 30, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Indirapuram highrise fire: Two workers succumb to burns

noida Updated: Oct 28, 2015 13:17 IST
HT Correspondent
Highrise fire

The fire broke out at Amrapali Village apartments in Nyay Khand 2 around 4pm on Monday. A garment workshop was being run illegally on the 10th floor of the building.(HT Photo)

Two persons, who suffered burns in a fire that broke out on Monday at a garment workshop being run on the 10th floor of a highrise in Indirapuram, died on Tuesday.

The victims, Gopal and Shahnawaz, were in their mid-30s and worked at the workshop that was allegedly being run illegally. They hailed from Bihar. The two were admitted to Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi with 70% burns, police said.

The fire had broken out at Amrapali Village apartments in Nyay Khand 2 around 4pm. Four persons had received burns in the fire.

The police said they have lodged an FIR against the owner of the workshop and also against the owner of the flat under Indian Penal Code (IPC) Sections 285, 286 (negligent conduct with respect to fire or combustible matter, explosive substance), 326 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means), 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 427 (mischief causing damage).

“Both the owner and the tenant of the flat have been booked. The two injured persons died at the Delhi hospital. With their deaths, we will add IPC Section 304A (causing death by negligence) against the accused named in the FIR,” said Gorakhnath Yadav, Indirapuram station house officer.

Sources, meanwhile, said a third victim Manoj is also battling for his life with severe burn injuries. He hails from Aligarh.

“Doctors at Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi told me that my brother suffered over 30% burn injuries. There is no improvement in his condition,” said Ram Pravesh, Manoj’s brother.

According to senior fire department officials, cans of different kinds of chemicals and a 5-kg LPG cylinders were kept at the workshop.

“During inspection, we found inflammable material stored in the toilet. Garments were also kept at the flat. The kitchen was being used as a steam-press section and the lobby as a mini showroom. It appears that the workers were smoking and some highly inflammable substance caught fire. There is also a possibility of a short-circuit,” fire officer Som Dutt Sonkar said.

Sonkar said nearly 10 people worked at the workshop. Residents of the building had raised objections to the workshop being run in the building.