'It was a night of horror for me and my family' | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

'It was a night of horror for me and my family'

noida Updated: Mar 17, 2013 00:25 IST
Shashank Shekhar

"Night of horror", this is how Rathin Basu, country president and managing director of Alstom T&D India Limited, described his nearly six hours in captivity.

Basu, along with his driver, was abducted while on his way home on Friday night.

"Like every day before leaving from the office, I called up my wife. We had planned a family dinner. It takes 20-25 minutes to reach my home in Sector 44 from my office in Sector 65. We would have barely travelled a kilometre when a car hit my car on the left from behind. My driver, Ram Babu, and I got down to check the damage. Two people came out of the car and apologised but before we could smell any foul play, three more showed up with guns. They shoved us inside my car and started driving. It took just a minute. Several passersby witnessed the incident, but nobody came forward to help," said Rathin Basu to Hindustan Times over the phone.

"After crossing Ghaziabad, they blindfolded me but I could feel that they drove for two hours on the highway and then they entered a bungalow. On the way, they said that they will let me know about their plan but for now they wanted my car for four hours. I could sense that they had bigger plans. They allowed me to take all the calls so that my family and colleagues do not panic. They dictated me what to say and asked me to talk in Hindi as they did not know English," Basu said.

"My wife called me first and they dictated me to tell her in Hindi that I have to go to Bulandshahr for an urgent meeting. She smelled foul play as I normally converse in Bengali or English and I had no work in Bulandshahr and was supposed to take her for dinner," said Basu.

The abductors put Basu and his driver in a room and threatened to shoot if they tried to escape. They also took away his purse and rings. While one man was put on guard inside the room, the other was watching the gate.

"Around 2am I got a call from SSP Meerut who asked if I was fine. He also asked where I was. The kidnappers told me to tell the SSP that I was in Delhi and disconnect. The SSP called again and said that he knows that I was in Meerut. At this, the kidnappers panicked and started talking about shifting me," said Basu.

Before they could do so, around 4am, the police stormed the bungalow and rescued Basu.

He said somebody was guiding the whole operation over the phone.