Man accused of shooting at bizman in Sec 15 surrenders

  • Abhishek Anand, Hindustan Times
  • Updated: Apr 22, 2016 22:59 IST
Businessman Rakesh Awasthi was attacked on March 10. (HT File)

A man, accused of shooting at a businessman last month in Sector 15A during a robbery bid, surrendered in a local court on Thursday.

The accused has been identified as Daulat. He was sent to 14-day judicial custody.

The incident took place on March 10 when business head of Ozone Overseas Private Limited Rakesh Awasthi was on the way to his office in Delhi’s Karol Bagh. Near Sector 15A, two persons on a bike allegedly tried to steal a bag kept in the back seat of the car. But Awasthi saw the incident in the rear view mirror and cornered them with his car. In a bid to flee, one of the two bikers, Daulat, fired at Awasthi and fled the spot. The other accused, Pankaj, was caught by passersby.

“We will seek police custody of Daulat for interrogation as we have to recover the weapon of offence,” said Gaurav Grover, assistant superintendent of police (ASP), Gautam Budh Nagar.

The police said Daulat is a resident of Greater Noida and they had been conducting raids to arrest him but he surrendered before they could arrest him.

The police said three persons were involved in the incident.

On the day of the incident, Awasthi had visited a bank at Alpha 1 market. The third accused was standing out of the bank and informed Daulat and Pankaj about Awasthi’s movements. Daulat and Pankaj chased Awasthi for over 20 km to snatch his bag.

Daulat’s surrender has come as a setback for the police, which are already facing flak for not being able to arrest the accused in two recent cases of hit-and-run.

In the past six days, two cases of hit-and-run have taken place in the city, leaving three people dead.

In the first case, a BMW car had hit four people, leaving one dead, near Noida Stadium on Saturday. In the second case, an Innova car hit two women near Kailash Hospital in Greater Noida on Wednesday. The driver is yet to be identified.

While the police have failed to arrest Dedha, he has asked a local court three days’ time to surrender. The deadline ended on Thursday. But he did not surrender, after which the city court issued a non-bailable warrant (NBW) against him on Thursday.

SSP Kiran S said, “Our teams are searching the absconding accused.”

also read

‘Delhi-Noida-Direct toll could extend beyond 2031’
Show comments