Man held in Ghaziabad for opening fire at Kaushambi mall | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man held in Ghaziabad for opening fire at Kaushambi mall

noida Updated: Jun 29, 2016 01:16 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal

The accused (in yellow shirt) was arrested following a police raid in Shati Nagar Gate in Loni on late Monday night.(Sakib Ali /HT Photo)

The police on Tuesday arrested a 30-year-old man who was allegedly involved in indiscriminate firing at a mall in Kaushambi in May this year. Senior police officials said that the accused has 11 crime cases against him including those of murder, attempt to murder, robbery and cases under the Arms Act. He was also wanted in two cases of murder at Loni in Ghaziabad.

The accused, Sanjay Gurjar, was arrested by the police following a raid at a hideout at Shati Nagar Gate in Loni on late Monday night. According to the police, they also recovered a 9mm pistol, a .32 calibre foreign-made pistol and 245 grams of narcotics from the possession of the accused during the raid.

“He told us that one of his cousins had picked up an argument with the bouncers at a mall in Kaushambi. Later, his cousin Titu approached him for help. Following this, the accused and one of his accomplices, Subhas Jatav, went to the mall to avenge the treatment meted out to his cousin and resorted to indiscriminate firing. Titu was arrested by the

Delhi police around a month ago under the Arms Act,” senior superintendent of police (SSP), Ghaziabad, KS Emmanuel said.

Jatav is presently absconding and several police teams are on the lookout to arrest him. The police said the accused also told them that after the firing incident, he murdered one Praveen Mittal at Loni on May 26 near Indrapuri.

“Gurjar’s uncle had a dispute with Mittal over a plot of land. Mittal had also won a civil court case in the dispute and Gurjar and his uncle were furious. So he planned and murdered Mittal,” the SSP said.

In one other incident on May 11, Gurjar allegedly murdered Sameer Sharma, a mobile shop owner, at Jawahar Nagar. Officials said that one of Gurjar’s friends had picked up an altercation with Sharma over recharge of a mobile phone. Later, Gurjar arrived with some of his accomplices and murdered the shop owner, they added.

Following the incident, the police had announced a reward of `5,000 for the accused.