Man in police custody dies after ‘jumping’ out of PCR van

  • Ashni Dhaor, Hindustan Times, Noida
  • Updated: Apr 30, 2016 14:00 IST
The protesters blocked traffic and alleged that Kumar was beaten to death by the police. (Ishwar Chand/HT Photo)

A resident of Mamura village, who was in police custody, died allegedly after he jumped out of a PCR van while being taken for a medical examination on Friday morning.

The deceased, identified as Vinod Kumar (35), was being taken to the district hospital after the police detained him and one Sunil Sharma for having a tiff.

Vinod Kumar (HT Photo)

Enraged by the incident, residents of Mamura village blocked traffic for over an hour at the Sector 60 intersection on Friday. Relatives of Kumar alleged that the police had murdered him.

According to the police, Sharma, who ran a small eatery in Mamura village and Kumar, a liquor vendor, had a tiff with him on Thursday night. The police reached the spot and took them both to the Phase-3 police station.

“Kumar alleged that Sharma used to misbehave with his niece and they had an argument over it. Since both of them were under the influence of alcohol, their argument turned violent after which the police reached the spot around 11.30pm,” Dinesh Yadav, superintendent of police (city), Noida, said.

Both of them were taken to the Phase-3 police station and Sharma submitted a written complaint against Kumar.

Police use water cannons to disperse the protesters who gathered at Sector 60 intersection on Friday. (Ishwar Chand/HT)

“Since both were hurt in the altercation, they were being taken to the district hospital in Sector 30 for a medical examination. On the way, Kumar, who was still under the influence of alcohol, jumped out of the PCR van and hit his head on the road divider,” Yadav said.

The police took the injured Kumar to the district hospital, from where he was referred to GTB hospital in Delhi. He died around 3am and the police informed his family.

However, Kumar’s relatives said the police had no reason to take Kumar for a medical examination as he did not have any injuries.

“The police beat Kumar to death at the police station. He did not have a single scratch on him when he left home but his body was bruised all over and there was a grave injury on the neck,” Sanjay, Kumar’s brother-in-law, said.

Two constables, Gopal and Deepak Rati, who were accompanying Kumar, have been suspended. An FIR has been lodged against the two policemen and Sharma for murder.

also read

Ahead of festive season, police intensify checks on liquor smuggling
Show comments