Mother accepts newborn after 30-hour standoff at Noida hospital

  • Pawan Pandita and Vaibhav Jha, Hindustan Times, Noida
  • Updated: Jun 22, 2016 14:59 IST
Noida: After a nearly 30-hour long standoff, the mother of a day-old baby finally accepted her child and began suckling her on Tuesday evening. (Burhaan Kinu/HT)

After a nearly 30-hour long standoff, the mother of a day-old baby finally accepted her child and began suckling her on Tuesday evening.

The family of 23-year-old Sangeeta Devi had alleged that she had delivered twins at the government district hospital on Monday and that the hospital had handed over only one child, a girl.

On Tuesday, health authorities assured the family that a probe will be conducted to find out if one of the children had gone missing after they were delivered on Monday.

The family had refused to take the newborn girl on Monday afternoon unless they were also given the other child. They have lodged a police complaint in the matter.

Family members of the 23-year-old woman staged a protest at the hospital and said they will accept the newborn girl only if they are given the other child as well. City Magistrate Bachchu Singh and police officers visited the hospital on Tuesday and assured the family of a probe to ascertain the truth. (Burhaan Kinu /HT)

Sangeeta, a resident of Chhijarsi near Sector 63, was admitted to Dr Bhim Rao Ambedkar Multi-specialty Hospital in Sector 30 on Monday morning after she got labour pains.

Sangeeta’s mother-in-law Chandrawati Devi said, “The ultrasound report of April 24, from a private hospital in our neighbourhood, showed twins. The ultrasound test done in the district hospital on May 28 also showed twins. Even the ultrasound test done at 10 am on Monday confirmed that my daughter-in-law was bearing twins. But around 1pm, we were told that she has delivered only one child.”

Also read: Noida family alleges woman delivered twins, hospital handed only one child

Sangeeta’s brother-in-law Devender Paswan said, “Electricity went off thrice during the surgery and the family was told to arrange blood. During this exercise, the hospital staff took away the other child.”

Dr NM Mathur, chief medical superintendent of the district hospital, admitted the “possibility of human error caused due to work overload”. The hospital administration said the ‘erroneous’ report was made on the basis of a prior report from a private hospital, SJM Multispecialty Hospital in Sector 63.

Sangeeta underwent the first test at SJM Hospital on April 24 and the report stated that she was carrying twins. But the report mentioned the physical attributes of only one child.

Dr Pushpa Kaul, chairperson of SJM Hospital, denied any possibility of ‘human error’ in preparing the report.

“Sangeeta had undergone tests on a Sunday when we run free health camps for underprivileged section. Due to staff shortage, we listed the physical attributes of only one unborn. There is no denying that she was carrying twins,” Kaul said.

Sangeeta took another ultrasound test at the district hospital on May 28 where the radiologist identified two unborn in her foetus and listed their attributes separately. The report stated that she was 36 weeks and six days pregnant at that time.

“If the district hospital is claiming that they just copied our report, then how come they listed the foetal heart rate and foetal weight of two unborns when we had listed only one? This shows that Sangeeta had twins,” Kaul said.

Dr Mathur said chief medical officer Dr RK Garg has ordered an inquiry in the matter and the report will be submitted in seven days.

also read

Ahead of festive season, police intensify checks on liquor smuggling
Show comments