No arrests yet, Jewar victims threaten to sit on protest | noida | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 22, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

No arrests yet, Jewar victims threaten to sit on protest

It has been 10 days since the incident of alleged gang rape, robbery and murder took place

noida Updated: Jun 06, 2017 12:39 IST
Preety Acharya
The victims, who include two senior citizens, are angry that they now have to prove that they are not lying after police said that a preliminary medical report did not confirm rape.
The victims, who include two senior citizens, are angry that they now have to prove that they are not lying after police said that a preliminary medical report did not confirm rape.(Sunil Ghosh/HT Photo)

The ‘rape’ victims in the Jewar robbery, gang-rape and murder case of May 25 said they will sit on a protest if the culprits are not caught soon. One of the four women who were allegedly raped had tried to commit suicide on June 4. The victims are now planning to sit on a protest against the police for claiming that they were not raped (as per a preliminary medical report) and also because no arrest has been made so far.

“We lost everything in the incident. I was raped, my husband was murdered before me and my six-year-old son saw everything. The police say I wasn’t raped. I wanted to end my life because this is what we have to face after going through a life-threatening incident,” said the victim whose husband was shot dead trying to save her and the other women.

Another victim, a 60-year-old, has been under immense stress since the incident. She is very disheartened that she now has to prove that she was raped. “I have grandchildren; imagine the embarrassment I have to go through. How can I lie about rape at this age?” she said.

“We will sit on a protest till we get justice. When we met the chief minister, we were in front of him, but he didn’t ask us anything. We wanted him to talk to us, but he didn’t. It is very disheartening,” said the third 42-year-old victim.

Last week, CM Yogi Adityanath had announced Rs5 lakh compensation to the family members of the 38-year-old man who was shot dead in the incident. The decision came after five members of the family, including two alleged rape victims, went to Lucknow for a 45-minute meeting. They were accompanied by Jewar MLA Dhirendra Singh, former vice-president of Jewar municipality, Younis, a village elder Mozam Khan and other senior citizens.

In Jewar, the other 60-year-old victim couldn’t stop crying while recalling the whole incident. “The goons kept dragging and hitting me because they thought I had hidden my earrings. But I wasn’t wearing any that day. They were ruthless and should be arrested soon. We are doing everything to get justice, but it’s been over 10 days and nothing has been done,” she added.

The victim’s daughter-in-law has now stopped going out once it’s dark. “There are power cuts at night. We are so scared that we bear the summer heat, but don’t go outside at night,” she said.

“If a 60-year-old can be raped, how are we supposed to feel safe?” she said.